Today I wanted to share two apps for Geometry!
iPad App/ iTouch App - Simple, easy to use, no ads, good for all grade levels, great app!
From iTunes Description:
• Create line segments and polygons by stretching bands around the Geoboard’s pegs.
• Choose from 5 different band colors; 8 band colors on the iPad.
• Fill individual shapes with a transparent color, or use the Fill All button to toggle all the bands between filled and unfilled.
• On the iPad, switch between the standard 25-peg board and the expanded board with 150 pegs. The larger board makes it possible for students to create a wider variety of configurations
Of course, any lesson you have done with a traditional geoboard you can do with this app. The pros - no rubber band snapping and you can color in the different shapes in different colors.
Here is a list of links to ideas for traditional uses of a geoboard from Dr. Nicki's Guided Math Blog.
TechChef4U also has a specific post for identifying triangles using this specific app. Both are great for lesson ideas!
iPad Only App - For upper grades, includes coordinate grids, no adds, able to save and load to work on multiple workbooks.
From iTunes Description:
With the Geometry Pad you can create fundamental geometry shapes, explore and change their properties and calculate metrics of the shapes. The shapes are displayed on a scrollable and zoomable workbook with a rectangular coordinate system. The following tools are built into the application:
- Move and scale. Scroll the workbook by your finger. Pinch and zoom the content of your workbook. Move and modify shapes.
- Point. Plot a point on the workbook. Customize point name and color.
- Line. Create a line. Customize line style, color and start/end points. Calculate line length (distance between points).
- Angle. Create an angle with up to 1 degree precision. Customize angle line style and color.
- Triangle. Create a triangle of one of the predefined types: regular, right triangle, isosceles, equilateral. Customize sides style and color. Calculate triangle perimeter and area. Calculate inner angles of the triangle and length of its sides.
- Triangle lines. Create altitude, bisector and median lines in a triangle. Calculate length of triangle lines. Customize lines style and color.
- Quadrilateral. Create a quadrilateral of one of the predefined types: regular, square, rectangle, parallelogram, rhombus. Customize sides style and color. Calculate quadrilateral perimeter and area. Calculate inner angles of the quadrilateral and length of its sides.
- Circle. Create a circle. Calculate circle perimeter and area.
- Circle radius and chord. Create radius and chord lines for a circle. Customize lines style and color. Calculate the length of the lines.
This has everything from simple coordinates, creating shapes, to calculating and demonstrating slopes..... if you teach middle school or high school geometry standards you need to look into this app.